A few simple clicks and you are on your way to using the SEO Toolbar right from your browser:
- Go to https://ahrefs.com/seo-toolbar.
- Click "Free Download For Chrome" to download the installation file (ahrefs.crx).
- Open up the chrome://extensions page.
- Drag and drop the installation file there.
Sometimes in the process of installation and after you have clicked the "Free Download for Chrome", you get the "Apps, extensions and user scripts cannot be added from this website." message like this one.
Do IGNORE the message and proceed with the rest of the steps as mentioned and you should be fine. This is just Chrome’s default message to protect users against downloading nasty applications and the SEO Toolbar is NOT one of them. :)
If you've done the above steps but still can't install the toolbar, try the following method:
- Go to chrome://extensions and switch to the Developer Mode there. You'll find the corresponding checkbox in the upper right corner of the screen.
- After the switch, you'll need to find the downloaded ahrefs.crx file and unzip it. You can do this with the help of any file archiver (for instance, 7-zip).
- Then click the button called Load Unpacked Extension on the Chrome Extensions page and add the unarchived Ahrefs extension folder to your browser.
Now you should have a working Ahrefs SEO toolbar.