Below are steps you should take for adding meta tag to a homepage of your Wordpress site to verify its ownership:
Note: the following steps are to verify your wordpress site for performing a crawl for it using Ahrefs Site Audit tool only!
- Go to your Wordpress site's admin page
- Go to Plugins and add the Meta Tag Manager plugin
- After adding the plugin, go to Pages -> Home page and click Edit
4. In Site Audit, copy the HTML tag in the Project's Settings -> Ownership verification menu under HTML tag and paste it in the Meta Tag Manager in Wordpress
<meta name="ahrefs-site-verification" content="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx">
5. Click Update in Wordpress admin
6. Click Check Status in Ownership verification menu of Site Audit tool. Verification status should change to "Verified"
Note: If the Meta Tag Manager plugin doesn't work for you, look for a different plugin that adds the code to the header of your website's homepage.